Call me a square, but getting to pick out new school supplies and a couple of clothing staples for the new school year brought me a special kind of joy all the way through my college years. Even as an adult, seeing all the colorful supplies lined up ready to be carefully selected by a lucky student makes me smile.
Although technically I suppose restocking on school supplies is somewhat mandatory, it seems that a lot of people in the United States become a little spend-happy during these few months. As of 2014, about 17% of retail sales for the year happen during back-to-school season, amounting to over $800 billion dollars.
If your company is looking to take advantage of increased spending before school’s in, here are some things to know:
- The average household spends $606 on back-to-school shopping. That number rises to $1086 for families with college students.
- Spending peaks in July in August but spans from April all the way through September.
- 59% of back-to-school shoppers say their children pick out the items purchased.
- Discounts seriously affect purchase behavior, especially for clothing purchases. 9.9% of shoppers said their purchases were influenced 100% by the deals they got.
- E-commerce is incredibly important: 7.9% of purchases are made online, and 50% of customers browse online before making an in-store purchase.
As the school year begins for students all over the country, there's still time to tailor your digital marketing efforts to the needs of those making purchases. It's time to get creative!
Whether you decide to queue up some fun social media posts or hold a flash-sale on your e-commerce site, keep the imagination and individuality of students in mind and have a little fun!